On the Blackboard:
July 8th - As an LBGTQ welcoming congregation, UUCV will be hosting a booth at Saturday in the Park PRIDE on July 8, 2017. At 8:30 LylesMyles, the annual HIV/AIDS fundraising 5 K walk/run, will set off onto the river walk and back. It'll be followed by awards and raffle. Then Saturday in the Park, with entertainment, runs throughout the day until about 5:30PM.
UUCV will be represented by UUCV members in our booth all day long. Stop by and say hello!
Spread the word - we need volunteers to staff the booth. To volunteer at the booth contact Carol Alice or Lyle Smith.To register for the walk/run, click LylesMyles.
UUCV has chosen to undertake many continuous social action projects that demonstrate our strong commitment to making the world a better place. Both friends and members of our church are welcome to join any of our social action projects. Many people participate in more than one project (e.g., addressing homelessness during the cold winter months, and working on environmental issues.)From this list, you will undoubtedly find a group already working on issues that are important to you. From time to time, UUCV members also take on ad hoc projects, such as working to pass legislation on Marriage Equality in the state of Washington. Many of the projects below have links to additional information, and the contacts for each one are also listed here. Please contact one of the project leaders and get involved!
- Environmental Action, including the Beyond Curbside project and other initiatives. Contact person: Kitty (email@example.com)
- Adopt-A-Highway (Litter Pickers), a team that cleans up recyclables and other discarded items near the Columbia River. Contact person: Ross (LitterPickers@uucvan.org)
- Share House volunteers, helping to feed the hungry in our community. Contact person: Frances (ShareHouseProject@uucvan.org)
- Change for the World, shares part of the Sunday offering with helping organizations world-wide. Contact persons: Donna and Deborah.
- Fighting the Global AIDS/HIV Pandemic: Red Ribbon Congregation. Contact person: Lyle (AIDScoalition@uucvan.org)
- LGBTQ justice and community support: Welcoming Congregation. Contact persons: Lyle and Carol (LyleSmith@uucvan.org)
- School Partnership Projects (School Supply Drive and Lunch Buddies). Contact person: Susan (CFC@uucvan.org)
- Families in Service, bringing families with children together for action projects and fellowship. Contact person: Kelley (FIS@uucvan.org)
- Homelessness: Winter Hospitality Overflow Shelter (WHO). Contact Person: Rick (WHO@uucvan.org)
- Racial Justice. Contact Betty (RacialJustice@uucvan.org).
If you'd like to lead a new social action activity or team project, please submit a Project Proposal to the Social Action Steering Committee.
There's a Project Leader's Guide to assist you in putting it all together.