On the Blackboard:
UUCV will aid homeless women and families by serving February 14-19 at the Vancouver WHO. Signup and training information will be available soon.
UUCV has chosen to undertake many continuous social action projects that demonstrate our strong commitment to making the world a better place. Both friends and members of our church are welcome to join any of our social action projects. Many people participate in more than one project (e.g., addressing homelessness during the cold winter months, and working on environmental issues.)From this list, you will undoubtedly find a group already working on issues that are important to you. From time to time, UUCV members also take on ad hoc projects, such as working to pass legislation on Marriage Equality in the state of Washington. Many of the projects below have links to additional information, and the contacts for each one are also listed here. Please contact one of the project leaders and get involved!
- Environmental Action, including the Beyond Curbside project and other initiatives. Contact person: Kitty Hibbs (email@example.com)
- Adopt-A-Highway (Litter Pickers), a team that cleans up recyclables and other discarded items near the Columbia River. Contact person: Ross Montgomery (LitterPickers@uucvan.org)
- Share House volunteers, helping to feed the hungry in our community. Contact person: Frances Foley (ShareHouseProject@uucvan.org)
- Change for the World, shares part of the Sunday offering with helping organizations world-wide. Contact persons: Donna Shaver and Deborah Willoughby.
- Fighting the Global AIDS/HIV Pandemic: Red Ribbon Congregation. Contact person: Lyle Smith (AIDScoalition@uucvan.org)
- LGBTQ justice and community support: Welcoming Congregation. Contact persons: Lyle Smith and Carol Alice (LyleSmith@uucvan.org)
- Caring for Children (School Supply Drive and Lunch Buddies). Contact person: Susan Fleming (CFC@uucvan.org)
- Families in Service, bringing families with children together for action projects and fellowship. Contact person: Elisa Wells (FIS@uucvan.org)
- Homelessness: Winter Hospitality Overflow Shelter (WHO). Contact Person: Rick Krahn (WHO@uucvan.org)
- Racial Justice. Contact Betty (RacialJustice@uucvan.org).
If you'd like to lead a new social action activity or team project, please submit a Project Proposal to the Social Action Steering Committee.
There's a Project Leader's Guide to assist you in putting it all together.